Tuesday, December 4, 2012

We wait, we need





We Need In the Niel Diamond soundtrack of Jonathan Livingston Seagull there is a song called "Dear Father" that I find inspiring. As I was out for my walk today I listened to it and thought about how appropriate one of the verses is for Advent. The verse goes something like this:

Who are we to need?, We need, we need,
While we wait...

As I pondered the answer to that question I wondered; "what is it that I need?" I could think of many material things that I think I need but that would only complicate my life, like more money, nicer vehicles or fancier clothes. I sometimes think I need more time, more intelligence, more capacity to think and discern and pray. But all of those things presume that God somehow made a mistake when creating me - a theological impossibility.

What I need (and maybe what you need) is union - union with God. God has made us for Himself and our hearts are restless until they rest in God (to quote St Augustine). And what better time to wait for that need to become better fulfilled than Advent? We wait in hope. We wait in expectation. We wait in anticipation. For what? The coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ!

Watch, wait, hope, and realize your need. And who are we to need? Sons and daughters of the Dear Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment