Monday, December 31, 2012

New days ahead...


As the frivolity and (often) insanity of this evening looms I am pressed to consider what is different about my life from New Year's Eve one year ago. Although I am a sinful person, often flawed in horrific ways, I can see a few positive lights from 2012:
  • I seem to be more keenly aware of my own sin. I do get to "confession" more often.
  • I am more reflective and habitually "examen" (for St Ignatius fans) my day.
  • Even though I get myself involved in many more "social justice" causes I am keenly aware of my inability to solve these problems.
  • My study of the 2nd Vatican Council has opened my eyes and my mind to the great hope and possibilities that lie ahead if we only read and follow the Documents.
  • I am much better at living life one day at a time instead of by weeks, months or seasons.
As I look to the days ahead I would like to:
  • Be better at keeping a journal - I have started and stopped this process so many times it's embarrassing. 
  • Always be reading at least one book for recreation and enjoyment. 
  • Become more "quiet". I love the silence of early mornings, of empty chapels, and of deserted parks - "in the silence, God speaks".
  • To respect the way God created me (diabetic) and to live my life in obedience to that nature.
  • To listen.
What about you? What's different about you from a year ago? What will be different in the days ahead?

No comments:

Post a Comment