Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Recognizing Jesus


In the Gospel reading for Mass today, Jesus is recognized for who is REALLY is as Messiah, Son of God, the Holy One of God, etc. etc. This recognition does not come from one of His followers, friends, or disciples but from a demon! (Luke 4:31-37) This causes me to question my own perception or image of Jesus. Who is He, to me? Do I see Jesus as a human, specially blessed, but still just a man? Do I see Him as a convenient friend who can work His magic and get me out of a tight spot? Is He, for me, something like an aspirin that I only reach for when I need it? All of these are common and erroneous ways of relating to Jesus. He is who the demon described - the Holy One of God! He is the Savior, the Prince of Peace, King of Kings, and Messiah. Jesus is who He is regardless of who I want Him to be. Many of the Jews who followed Jesus thought he would be the one to throw off Roman oppression and restore the Davidic kingdom to Israel. Many of us today think Jesus is going to overthrow our enemies so we can live the life of wealth and convenience that we desire.
Today, take a few moments to ponder how you would recognize Jesus. Is He, for you, the Holy One of God? Is He your savior? (Which means that you need to be saved.) Do His peaceful, humble, and tough love ways make you uncomfortable?  If you can answer "yes" to these then you are well on the way to true recognition of, and relationship with, the One who loves you best.

No comments:

Post a Comment