Tuesday, September 4, 2012

People and work and things...






As I continue to study the documents of the Second Vatican Council statements like the one above take on a deeper meaning. In "The Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World", no small amount of space was dedicated to human labor. This realization comes first from the fact that Jesus Christ was a skilled laborer. He was a carpenter, one who worked with His hands to fashion items to make life easier for others. In our world today, indeed in my own work experience, people are often used - often with their permission. Such was the case with me. I worked very hard and stayed on the job for long hours in my previous state of employment because I wanted to get ahead. I wanted to please my boss and I was self-driven to excel. Although in one regard there is nothing wrong with any of those motives, it is when I allowed them to become obsessive and when they actually obscured (rather than supported) my vocation as husband and father that they became sinful. In other words, I allowed myself to be used.
In doing so I was worshiping work and the things I could get from working. I often fooled myself into believing I was doing these things for "the good of the family" but oftentimes I just wanted more stuff or nicer stuff. 
In a document written several years after the Council (Laborem Exercens, On Human Labor), Pope John Paul II (a huge contributor at Vatican II) says this: "The Christian vision of reality focuses on the human person and their dignity as created in God's image." This means that the PERSON must always be the priority of work. In other words, work is for the person and NOT the person for work. The Pope goes on to say: "Work is a great thing but man in incomparably greater. Man is sacred and this sacredness is inviolable."
The questions become these:
  1. Are you aware of what the Catholic Church teaches about human labor and the reality of work?
  2. What is your personal view of your own work? Are you a workaholic? Have you allowed yourself to be "used" in the workplace?
  3. Have you "cheated" your employer by not putting forth the reasonable amount of time and effort requested?
By the way, I found the image at the top of this post on Fr Bob Lacey's Facebook page.

2 comments:

  1. I love this message, Deacon John! It is very timely since I was just discussing this last week.
    Could you expand on this question - where are the tipping points? You mentioned you worked too much when it cut into your vocation of being a father/husband, but how about the other end? How do you know if you're not working enough to support your family (for example, if a wife wanted to stay home instead of work). In many households (and families), it is expected that both adults work, but what if one of them feels called to stay home? Is there a way to decipher between being "lazy" and using your time how you feel led?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miranda,
      Thanks for the questions. Underlying the answers to "what is enough" and "what if the wife wants to stay home" is a simple concept - expectations. What does the couple expect out of life? What is important, social status and stuff or children raised by a parent rather than a daycare? Decisions made early on in married life about mortgages and car payments have an enormous bearing on what the couple will need to do later on to meet their obligations. I have a great deal of respect for my son and daughter-in-law because they have made the decision that she will not work outside the home and will homeschool their children. This has meant that they drive used cars and they shop at second hand stores, etc. My son works hard but he doesn't overdo it. He is very involved in the activities that surround their home life. Anyway, I hope this is helpful. I would say that most people KNOW when they are being "lazy" and when they are honoring their vocation and their job.

      Delete