Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Deacon Tom Bates

Last evening (Tuesday 7/31/12) my good friend and classmate Deacon Tom Bates passed from this world to the next. Deacon Tom and his wife, Lois, stayed with Mary and I during our years of deacon formation. He and Lois lived in Sisseton at the time so they used our spare bedroom. Tom was one of the most 'Catholic' people I know. He believed and lived what our Church teaches and did it with out hesitation and with joy in his heart. He had a hardy laugh and I enjoyed his company immensely. Besides being a husband and Deacon, Tom was the father of four - two boys and two girls. Unfortunately, the family lost Laura (the oldest) to breast cancer earlier this year.
I thank God that Tom's time between diagnosis and death was short - about 3 and 1/2 weeks. He had time to say his goodbyes and did not linger or suffer for long in pain.
Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord and the let the perpetual light shine upon him. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment